12 Spiritual habits that will change your thinking to be focused on Christ
~~ Watch the Video ~~
- The Story You Tell Yourself Review
- The Christian Mindset Review
- Habits to Renew Your Mind
- Stop Breaking Promises to Yourself
- Practice of Gratitude
- Fellowship With Other Believers
- Memorize Scripture
- Quiet Time
- Read Scripture
- Speak Positively
- Serve Others
- Think about Eternity
- Romans 12:2
- Romans 8:1
- Romans 8:2
- Romans 8:14
- Romans 8:18
- Romans 8:28
- Romans 8:31
- Romans 8:38-39
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5
- Philippians 4:13
- Psalms 118:8
- Deuteronomy 31:6
- 1 John 4:4
- Luke 5:16
- Matthew 15:8-9
- Acts 16: 23-26
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4
- Matthew 6:5-6
- Luke 18:1
- Mark 9:28-29
- Proverbs 21:23
- Proverbs 18:21
- James 3:4-5
- Philippians 2:3-4
- Colossians 3:2
- 1 Corinthians 2:9
Is it possible to think about God all the time?
- What if someone told you they think about God all the time?
- Would you believe them?
Is it possible to think about sex all of the time?
Is it possible to think about being in a relationship all of the time?
When your relationship is going bad and that’s all they can think about?
- You’re about to ask for a divorce
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
Renewing your mind is changing the way you think
Today you will get some practical ways to renew your mind
To change a thought pattern you can:
- Reframe it
- Replace it
- Invite the Holy Spirit to change it
Today we’re looking at habits
- lifestyle changes
We are in our series called Seeking Wholeness
How can we be _______ healthy
Dealing with life’s current stresses and also being healed from past experiences/wounds
God is not only concerned with you going to Heaven and being righteous...wants you to be whole.
- Righteousness, joy, and peace
Traits of Wholeness
- Not seeking external approval / validation
- Living by values and principles
- Setting Boundaries
- Knowing what is your responsibility and what isn’t
- Living with purpose and passion
- Healthy relationships with both genders
- Not losing control of your emotions
- Free from addictions
- Addressing Conflict
- Non Judgmental
- Not jealous
- Genuinely applaud the success of others
- Forgive those who have wronged you in the past
- Accept that God loves you as you are
- Not afraid to fail
- Free from irrational fear, worry, and anxiety
- Selfless encounters with others
- Not manipulating others trying to control their actions/reactions
- You genuinely care about how others feel
- Don’t ignore warning signs
- In your life
- In your relationships
7 things that mess up people’s lives more than anything else
- Uncontrolled Thoughts
- Lusts, habits, impulses
We had a lesson on fear and shame.
For the past 3 lessons we’ve been focusing on: uncontrolled thoughts
- The Story You Tell Yourself
Changing the way you think -> change the way you act
Renewing your mind involves changing the way you think
God is often more interested in changing your mind than changing your circumstances
The Story You Tell Yourself Review
The thoughts we think and the stories we tell ourselves are influenced by
- Our experiences
- Past relationships
- Our mental consumption
These stories impact:
- How we view ourselves
- How we view others
- How we view God
- The company you keep
- The opportunities you take
- The decisions that you make
The current state of your life is a direct result of
- the stories you tell yourself
- what you really believe is possible
Common Stories We Tell Ourselves
The Dependence story
- I can’t cope with being alone
- I can’t trust my own judgment
- I need someone to take care of me and make me happy
- Life is too overwhelming to cope with on my own
The Unworthy/Defective Story
- I’m flawed
- I’m unlovable
- I am damaged
- I am less than
- If people really knew me they would reject me
The Disconnection Story
- No one understands me
- I rarely feel close to people
- I feel like there’s an invisible barrier between me and other people
- I don’t get the love I need
- Nobody cares about me or even tries to meet my needs
Seeing the world in third person can be a response to trauma
The Mistrust story
- Most people will use, hurt or take advantage me
- I need to stay on guard to protect myself
- People only do or think nice things when they want to get something out of me
- People will reject me
- People will not be there when I need them
The Failure Story
- I don’t measure up
- I am not able to succeed
- There’s no point in trying because I’m just going to fail
- I never seem to get things right
- What if people realize I’m not as good as they think I am
The Abandonment story
- People don’t really care about me
- No matter how good things seem it will never last
- I am destined to end up alone
- I worry about people I care about leaving or dying
- Everybody leaves
- I knew they weren’t going to stay anyway
- It was just a matter of time
Our beliefs can be what is holding us back in life
Common limiting beliefs include:
- I have to be perfect
- My life is harder than everyone else’s
- If I can do it anyone can do it
- “If I ignore it, it will go away.”
- “I’m too young, or I’m too old.”
- I’m just not that type of person
- Happy, emotionally expressive, outgoing, serious, successful
Can you name some of the practical steps we looked at?
Which of the practical steps we discussed have you found the most _____ ?
Christian Mindset Review
We used Romans 8 as a guide to see how Christians should filter their view of the world.
God Forgives You of Your Sins
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Your Value isn’t Dependent on Your Works
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
- Your works don’t save you
- Your works don’t define how good of a Christian you are
- Your works aren’t the evidence of your salvation
Grace is not opposed to effort it is opposed to earning
- The works you do is volunteer work
You are a Child of God
14For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God.
- Put your identity in Christ
Your Future is Bright
18For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
God is Using it All for Good
28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
- God can use the good and the bad
God Wants You to Succeed
31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?
- V26 - The Holy Spirit helps you to pray
- V27 - Jesus intercedes
Nothing Will Stop Jesus from Loving You
38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Do you feel that any particular one of those is the most important?
Habits to Renew Your Mind
2 Corinthians 10:4-5
for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.
5We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ
Stop Breaking Promises You Make to Yourself
When you don’t trust yourself that means you can’t trust your own internal cues
- Keep the promises you make to yourself
Practice of Gratitude
- Count your blessings before you go to sleep
- Pay attention to the good things that are happening to you throughout the day
Fellowship With Other Believers
Healthy relationships serve as a buffer against stress
Find a group of people that:
- Share vulnerabilities
- Mirror back to each other goodness and appreciation
- Addresses conflict to deepen understanding
- Listen deeply
- Bring a presence to your communication
- Spiritually aligned
- Growth group, Life group, cell group, small group
- Unchained Disciples
Have Memory Verses
- Replace your thought with scripture
- Encourage yourself with scripture
13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD
Than to trust in man.
6 “Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.”
1 John 4:4
4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
5 smooth stones
16But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.
What is quiet time?
Quiet time is a regular individual session of Christian spiritual activities, such as prayer, private meditation, contemplation, worship of God or study of the Bible.
A regularly attended time that you spend privately with God
Singing worship songs
- Worship is the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for God (a diety)
- Worship is a response to worth
We usually use the term when referring to the act of singing songs that worship God.
Worship is Honoring God
8 ‘THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9 ‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.’”
It takes the focus off of you
Give God glory as if it has been done
Acts 16: 23-26
23When they had struck them with many blows, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to guard them securely; 24and he, having received such a command, threw them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.
25Now about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; 26and suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone’s chains were unfastened.
- Worship unleashes the supernatural
Celebrate the victory before it comes
You praise to God based on His goodness not based on your circumstance
Sing a song that speaks to your situation
Sing a Christian song to help you through what you’re going through
- Break Every Chain (addictions)
- Oceans (faith)
- Worth (low self worth)
- I Won’t Go Back (when tempted)
- We Fall Down But We Get Up (repenting from sin)
- Even If (when feeling discouraged)
Practical ways to read the Bible
- Schedule it
- Have a plan (30 day, 90 day, read the bible in 1 Year, specific book of the bible)
- Pray that the Holy Spirit reveal the truth to you
You Need to Know the Word For Yourself
2 Timothy 4:1-4
1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:
2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
How do you know I’m telling you the truth?
5“And when you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they will be seen by people. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6But as for you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
Ask the Holy Spirit to give me better thoughts
Set a time and place
It’s Building a Relationship
It’s a response
- God spoke first in His Word.
- It is a continuing conversation that God started first.
It is not just an exchange of needs and wants
It’s a two-way communication
Response may come in the form of an inspired thought.
Acknowledging that you can’t do everything that needs to be done
Turning away from ourselves to God
It’s Okay to Petition
1Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not become discouraged,
Prayer is Powerful
- Some battles can only be fought by prayer
The only thing the disciples asked Jesus to show them to do is to pray
People fasted in the bible when they wanted to
- Get guidance and direction from God
- Get closer to God
- Make petitions to God
When you get too fleshy
- When you are in a season of temptation
- Quiets your mind
Taming Your Gut
More signals go from your stomach to your brain than from your brain to your stomach
- Microorganisms in your stomach communicate to your brain
- Send signals for: food cravings, sexual arousal, mood, cause brain fog
Enteric Nervous System
- is the intrinsic nervous system of the gastrointestinal tract
- Called Second brain
- Operates independent of the brain and spinal cord
- 90% of bodies serotonin is here
Serotonin helps regulate your mood as well as your sleep, appetite, digestion, learning ability, and memory.
- “Happiness hormone”
Story: mood bias
“Listen to your gut”
Your Words Can Change Your Life
23One who guards his mouth and his tongue,
Guards his soul from troubles.
21Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
Change Your Speaking To Change Your Mind
4Look at the ships too: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are nevertheless directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot determines. 5So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.
Don’t speak what you feel all the time, otherwise your mind can’t change.
- Learn to speak God’s word instead.
Don't use your mouth as a thermometer, reading the temperature of your current condition, allow God's word to turn your mouth into a thermostat, which changes the temperature of your life by confessing what God says.
3Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility consider one another as more important than yourselves; 4do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
It’s not about you
It’s only in giving your life away that you will discover what it means to live
Think about Eternity
2Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth.
There is more to life than just here and now
1 Corinthians 2:9
9but just as it is written:
“THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,
AND WHICH HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HUMAN HEART,
ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”
Instructor: Michael Leadon
Learn How To Be Set Free From Self-Destruction with Rick Warren
Bill Johnson - Power Of Worship In Spiritual Warfare
Why You Should Speak Things Into Existence
The importance of god's word
“Shout for joy, infertile one, you who have not given birth to any child; Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor; For the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous Than the sons of the married woman,” says the LORD.
The barren woman will pass the woman with many children
Praise Him in advance
Worshippers worship when no one was looking
David was worshiping when no one was looking.
- Don’t ask to be on the worship team if you don’t worship at the house
- John Gray, Bill Johnson
I don’t know anyone who hears from God who doesn’t worship at home alone
Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things.
We will not receive some things if we don’t ask
Guard Your Mind
- Stand on God’s word (the truth)
23Guard your heart with all diligence,
for from it flow springs of life.
The heart has about 40,000 neurons that operate independently from the brain.
- Broken heart
Your imagination can become more real than reality
22For I joyfully agree with the law of God in the inner person, 23but I see a different law in the parts of my body waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin, the law which is in [x]my body’s parts.
Do you ever find yourself doing things that you don’t really want to do?
Have you ever engaged in self-defeating behavior?
- Satan cannot force you to do anything
- He makes suggestions
The worlds value system
1 John 2:16
16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.
- celebrities, advertising, movies, songs
- Television program
2 Corinthians 10:3-6
3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage battle according to the flesh, 4for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but [b]divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, 6and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.
A stronghold is a lie that I believe
- God really doesn’t love me
- I know better than God what will make me happy
- The Bible is not relevant because it was
- written so long ago
- written by men
- All this matters is being happy
- The only thing that matters is having fun
- The only thing that matters is making money
- If someone does me wrong I will never forgive them
- I can never forgive myself for what I did
- I will never amount to anything
- If something bad is going to happen is going to happen to me
You cannot stop birds from flying over your head, but you can stop them from building a nest in your hair. Bad thoughts come, but do not have to stay if we speak against them with the truth of God’s Word.