Discerning the voice of the enemy
- 1 Peter 5:8-10
- Matthew 10:16
- Genesis 3:1-5
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
- Genesis 3:6-7
- Proverbs 14:12
- Genesis 3:8-10
- Proverbs 18:1
- Luke 4:1-3
- @ Matthew 16:21-23
- 1 Chronicles 21:1
- John 13:1-2
- Act 16:16-18
- The Voice of the Enemy
- Attacks When You’re Vulnerable
- The Enemy Can Influence Your Thoughts
- He Uses Other People
1 Peter 5:8-10
8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
What is the devil’s goal?
- To kill, steal and destroy
Story: duck hunter and the farmer:
- you can have the duck
The devil just wants to hurt us
We are in the series Hearing From God
How to know God is speaking part three
The voices can originate from
- Your Mind
- The World
- Your Flesh
- Your Gut
- The enemy
Your Own Voice
- Your own plan
- Voice of Your Past Trauma
- The inner critic is that voice inside our heads that constantly says negative self statements.
The basic message of the inner critic is “you are not good enough and you aren’t capable of becoming good enough “
- “You’re ugly”
- “You can’t do your job”
This usually starts from a childhood incident, but could also be from a traumatic incident of an adult.
- Patterns of beliefs
- An argument that goes against God or the bible
- Allows you to ignore whichever parts of the Bible you deem as inappropriate
- Example: The bible was based on a culture that doesn’t apply today
Voice of the World
- Popular opinion
The systems that promote non-Christian perspectives
Voice of Your identity
- I am the bad things I’ve done in the past
- Your physical desires
- Your sinful tendencies
Lust of the Flesh
- To want something because it feels good
- The temptation to feel physical pleasure from some sinful activity
- The desire to do something to make the flesh feel satisfied
Lust of the Eyes
- Want something because it looks good
- Desire to own or possess
- Desire for status
Pride of Life
- Desiring to “look good” or be esteemed
- Power, Significance, respect
- Something that leads to boasting
They influence your fleshly desires
- Cravings and addictions
- Sex drive
- The Bible says that fasting fights demons
- Fasting helps control the influence of bacteria
“ Although fasting diets have been criticized by nutritionists for being unhealthy, new research suggests starving the body kick-starts stem cells into producing new white blood cells, which fight off infection.
Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.
It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.
The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system.”
Old Adige: “starve a fever feed a cold”
Story: prayed to God to help with fast
- Stores were empty
The Voice of the Enemy
Wise as Serpents
Why Study This?
Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.
- We are supposed to be shrewd as serpents
- We are supposed to learn the ways and tactics of serpents
- We are supposed to learn the tactics of evil
- Not to use them, but so that we don’t get ensnared by evil
We are not supposed to employ the tactics of the enemy
Get to know the characteristics of Satan
1Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?” 2The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; 3but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” 4The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 5“For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
Who Is The Enemy?
- Satan / The Devil
- People influenced by Satan / Demons
- “The Satan” means the accuser
- Revelation 12:10
- In Job it is clear that there is a being who has the responsibility to or the freedom to accuse mankind of their wrongdoings.
Beelzebub - Lord of the Flies
@ Matthew 12:26-28
26“If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand? 27“If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges. 28“But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
In the gospel satan is referred to as Beelzebub which means lord of the flies. This references him as the fact that he was the leader of the demons.
References in the Bible
We see more demonic activity in the gospels because that is where Jesus was announced as king. When Jesus came and said this is the time that was when the opposition came.
Views on Satan
- Single Supernatural being
- Conglomeration of multiple evil entities in the bible
- Evil in the world
- Evil in ourselves (shadow self)
- Personality disorder (demons)
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, 4for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
- Thought pattern
Makes You Think God’s Word Cannot Be Trusted
Secular humanism claims that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or belief in a deity. It does not, however, assume that humans are either inherently good or evil, nor does it present humans as being superior to nature.
- “Volunteering” is the millennials religion
- Millennials need to have a job that make them feel they’re making an impact
Implication: The ultimate goal is to be a good person and I don’t need God to do that
Satan fell because he wanted to be like God
- Satan caused Eve to fall because she wanted to be like God
You can discover your own truth
6When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate 7Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.
- He increased her physical appetite
- He increased her emotional appetite
- He increased her intellectual appetite
The devil appeals to your flesh
Satan rarely tells you to do something you don’t want to do
- The devil doesn’t tempt you with things that are not appealing to you
Example: If a voice is telling you to memorize scripture that’s probably God
If it feels good do it
He let her see the tree through his eyes
There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.
The serpent tempted Eve with knowledge
- Eve got that knowledge
- Eve got deceived in the process
Problem with ungodly wisdom
- Even if you get what you desire
- It turns out to not be what you really need
- There is often deception mixed in with the knowledge
Example: late night television
- drug side effects
- Class action suits
Sometimes worldly knowledge
- Doesn’t do what it claims
- Does what it claims but there are unobvious consequences
Where is the first mention of fear in the Bible?
- With Adam
What was he first afraid of?
8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
9 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”
10 He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.”
Satan introduced fear into the world
Story: old lions in the pack
- Force them to run to the strength of the pack
Satan will force you to run to where he is strong
You need to learn to run into the direction of your fear
When you’re afraid
- You turn to a bottle
- You call people you shouldn’t
- You become a hoarder
- You turn to old habits
He who isolates himself pursues selfish desires;
he rebels against all sound judgment.
- You do stupid stuff
We get socialized in school
- It keeps us from being pathological
- You learn not to do things that aren’t socially acceptable
Attacks When You’re Vulnerable
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness
2 for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He became hungry.
3 And the devil said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”
The devil speaks to you when you are spiritually or physically weak
Just likes some viruses lay dormant until you’re stressed or tired
Never make a life altering decision when you are spiritually weak or physically weak
Why did Jesus fast for 40 days?
- Because He was going to be tempted
- To help Him resist temptation
Conviction vs Condemnation
Condemned buildings are unfit for dwelling
- The devil wants to make us think we’re unfit to be indwelt by the Holy Spirit
- Conviction always carries solution
- The Holy Spirit always convicts specifically.
Carol in this situation you were rude to this person. you need to fix that relationship.
God may say this is a specific area you need to fix in your life.
Satan and self always speak in generalities.
- You are a bad person.
Story: boys in an art store
- Satan switched the tags on us
Makes you strive for things that are of no value
You accept a promotion with more responsibility but no raise
Example: first job
- Picker vs packer
Example: why you wear designer clothes
The devil seeks to pull you away from God’s purposes and plans for your life
@ Matthew 16:21-23
21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.
22 Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.”
23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”
The devil wants you to go on a path that’s not meant for you
That is why you’ll get five job offers when you couldn’t get one before. That is why you can’t find a date but once you do everybody wants to date you. Be careful of someone introducing something into your life that’s new and out of the ordinary. Be careful of someone coming and giving you a word.
The Enemy Can Influence Your Thoughts
- He plants his thought into your mind until it becomes your thought
1 Chronicles 21:1
1Then Satan stood up against Israel and moved David to number Israel.
1Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He would depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. 2During supper, the devil having already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, to betray Him,
He Uses Other People
Example: Matthew 16
- Peter: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God
- Jesus: Flesh and blood did not reveal that...my Father
- Peter: (about the cross) This shall never happen to You.
- Jesus: Get behind me Satan
The Holy Spirit revealed a truth to Peter
Seconds later the devil influenced his thoughts
The enemy uses other people.
Peter thought he was helping Jesus but he was actually helping to derail Jesus from his purpose
Believing a Lie
You don’t have to be oppressed. You can just believe a lie.
- What we believe is what we speak
- The enemy wants us to be willing uninformed/misinformed people
You can be tempted to say something
The enemy plants seeds
Words of others are watering those seeds
The enemy starts planting seeds with children even when they’re young
- Sugary sweet
16 It happened that as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave-girl having a spirit of divination met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortune-telling.
17 Following after Paul and us, she kept crying out, saying, “These men are bond-servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation.”
18 She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!” And it came out at that very moment.
Just because they give you a positive word doesn’t mean that it is from God.
- Just because it’s accurate doesn’t mean it’s from God
What does it mean that Adam and Eve’s eyes were opened?
- they could already physically see.
It means that their conscious was exposed to evil
- It means that they became aware of the existence of evil.
- They became aware of the consequences of evil
Once they ate from the Apple the conscious became aware of something that it was never supposed to be aware of.
They became self conscience
Now they became overly concerned about what was wrong with themselves
They hid because they were naked
- They became ashamed
They became afraid
They became mortal
- They became conscious of their own mortality.
- They became afraid of death.
- Fear of death is a consequence of the fall
- This fear of death is now the background music that plays in the minds of humans
The enemy uses these tools against us
- Self consciousness
- Guilt / Shame
We were never supposed to experience these feelings
But Jesus came with a solution
If we truly accept Jesus’s sacrifice and accept the grace of God then we can become free
We lose these concerns by
- Fear of death
- Accepting Eternal life
- Self consciousness
- Putting our identity in Jesus
- Guilt and shame
- And accepting God’s forgiveness of our sins
The goal is to get back to the state that we lost in the fall
We don’t have to be afraid anymore
Like the song says:
You unravel me, with a melody
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance, from my enemies
Till all my fears are gone
I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God
I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God
-- No Longer a Slave (Bethel Music)
Instructor: Michael Leadon
Discern is the voice of God – Part 2
Satan’s Tricks and Traps - Tony Evans
Discerning God's Voice (^all sections)
FASTING FOR THREE DAYS CAN REGENERATE ENTIRE IMMUNE SYSTEM, STUDY FINDS
Satan And the evil powers – N T Wright (podcast)
The Strategy of Satan - Tony Evans